Re:Alpine Crossmember Conversions for Tiger Application

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Alpine Crossmember Conversions for Tiger Application
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:44:29 -0800
At 09:57 PM 1/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 01/10/2000 5:08:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>Laifman@Flash.Net writes:
>
><<  How much difference between front crossmember from
> > Series IV Alpine and MkI Tiger? >>
>
>The most obvious is the mounting points for the steering rack, which the
>Alpine crossmember doesn't have. There are a number of other differences that
>I can't remember off hand, but I do know that an Alpine crossmember can be
>modified to work in a Tiger application, as I have seen Tom Hall do the
>conversion. As a matter of fact, I'll defer to Tom, as I have already
>exhausted my knowledge in all of one sentence. Tom, you out there in the
>ethernet?
>Mike

The  dimensions for suspension attachments are the same as is the basic
construction.  What's missing are the cuts and inserts that allow the Tiger
rack to be installed as well as the rack mounts themselves.  I have the
alignment fixtures and tooling to accomplish this conversion.  I have done
this conversion for several owners and I usually add some internal pieces
to make the new crossmember substantially stronger and stiffer at a minimal
weight addition.  There are several pieces of the front suspension that
need to be "adjusted" to maximize service live.  I have manufactured the
pieces to accomplish this conversion and do not need a Tiger crossmember
core, unless you are seeking a piece to be used in stock concour class.  In
that case I can move the Tiger specific parts form the Tiger Xmember to the
Alpine  core.

Tom