Re: Overheating

To: Scharf <imagine@dowco.ca>
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:59:34 +0000
Les Scharf wrote:

> Has it overheated again?How can pressure alow atmostpheric pressure to
> enter?  Les

Les,

No, it is running perfectly after a water pump change out.  AS to your question,
that's what I had always assumed, and was surprised to hear this mechanic's
conclusion, but the fact remains it did happen.  Now that we know it can, it is
only our own lack of knowledge that prevents understanding.  I'll try a SWAG
(Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).  When the pump turns the pressure distribution
along
the pump vanes allows the inside volume to be at low pressure, compared to the
outside pump vane tip.  This is what creates the pressure to drive the water
through the pump as it is not a positive displacement device (like a piston
pump).  The air, at 14.5 psia (absolute pressure) can then enter to the lower
pressure pump area around the shaft.  This causes the pump to be trying to push
air, which it cannot do, so it 'cavitates' and water flow ceases.

Anyway, right, or not, it did happen, and it sounds so much like a number of
Tiger
complaints, that I thought it bears adding to the checklist of things that might
be wrong.

I'll pass this along to the list.  I am sure someone will shoot it down, and
someone will offer the correct answer.  It might even be a surprise and the same
person who disagrees, also know the correct rationale.  Who knows, stranger
things
have happened - like a Ford V-8 in a Yugo!

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/