RE: Platinum??

To: "'BRENNAN,STUART (A-Andover,ex1)'" <stuart_brennan@agilent.com>,
Subject: RE: Platinum??
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:23:39 -0700
Hmmmm...
You can get similar improvement to mileage by using water injection (or
windshield washer mix, if it's -22C outside, like right now). The water
vapor dilutes the incoming fuel/air charge, but then the vapor is turned
into steam at ignition, and that gives back some cylinder pressure, without
any combustion by-products. Also, since there is less combustion, there are
less combustion by-products, and the lower temperatures help to reduce NOx
emissions. All without platinum.

In order for the platinum to be effective as a catalyst it has to be in a
'finely divided' metallic state, not as ions in a solution.

regards,
Theo