Re: flow kooler water pumps - Slowing the flow

To: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>, Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: flow kooler water pumps - Slowing the flow
From: derekw@zamnet.zm (Derek White)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:27:56 +0200 (ZMT)
Craig et al,

I think the idea of slowing the flow to help cooling may have come from the
necessity in many engines to restrict the flow slightly after the radiator
to keep it full-- this is done by the mechanical thermostat or a holed steel
disk (used in racing mostly.) If the radiator is full, the heat exchange
surface area is maximized. Many engines will run hotter without a thermostat.

Conventional heat exchange relationships should hold even for an
unconventional car like the Alpine 260 or Tiger. It depends on the
temperature difference (air-water), the surface area, and the movement of
the two media.

just my 2 ngwees worth  (thats about 0.0007 US cents so not worth much really.)

derek

Derek White
Zikomo Brewing Company
Box 31730, Lusaka, Zambia