Re: flow kooler water pumps

To: larry.p@erols.com
Subject: Re: flow kooler water pumps
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:25:18 -0800
Larry,

Hey, header, heater, healer, it's all the same to me - and my spell checker
too. Well, now I'm completely mystified if the restriction is between the
pump and heater/header/healer. I guess the bypass is there so at least you
get your money's worth out of the pump. Paid for 100 gph so we're gonna get
100 gph. There may be some logical explanation. Then again, maybe not. How
many years did it take the automotive world to figure out they were
installing the cap on the wrong side of the radiator? I've had electrical
engineers design equipment with great big motors because they needed
such-and-such a torque value and never once figured out they could have
bought a motor about 1/10 the size and used a 10:1 gear reduction. Guess
they flunked mechanics and decided to go into electrical engineering
instead. Here in San Diego, the weather's nice as you all know and we
scarcely ever need air conditioning. But they built Urey Hall here at UCSD
with windows you can't open. Then they installed air conditioning. The air
conditioning works by taking the 70 degree ambient air in and cooling half
of it and heating the other half. Then, it's recombined to give the desired
room temperature - 70F!! I was told by the air conditioning people that
that's the standard way air conditioning systems work (at least back then).
That building was built before the energy crisis and the newer building
simply have windows we can open. I've got lots of other good examples as
I'm sure you do too. If there's maybe a point here, it's that just because
things have been done a certain way by just about everyone doesn't
necessarily mean it makes any sense. It's only when you apply a lot of
stress to a system that the difference between good engineering and
not-so-good engineering shows up. If the price of energy doubles, maybe the
possibility of a 10% energy efficiency savings might motivate some
re-engineering of even pool heater systems. Anybody using heat pumps to
heat the pool and cool the house at the same time?

The closed impeller pump will probably work just fine - and the rest of the
project too I hope. Other alternatives are to buy the Motorsport impeller
and have your own pump rebuilt or buy a complete one like the one from
Sunbeam Specialties. Either way, it's not a bunch of $$$, especially
compared to the Edelbrock or Stewart units.

We'll look forward to hearing how it all turns out.

Brgds,

Bob

At 05:57 PM 1/20/00 -0500, Larry Paulick wrote:
>Bob, sorry for the spelling in the second paragraph, remember I are an
>engineer.  It should be heater not header.
>
>With a pool heater, not header, you use a valve before the heater, and
>after the pump, to reduce the flow of water to the heater.  You also
>provide a bypass for the water so that the total turnover rate of the
>circulation system is not effected.
>
>Does this apply to our Ford Tiger engine, well some what.  I want
>efficient circulation/flow at low rpm's where the Tiger has its problems.
>
>But, I also don't want to spend the money for the Edlebrock pump, which
>is also very efficient pump, with good flow rates, so therefore the use
>of the closed impeller on the stamped impeller, at a cost of $6.
>
>After the car is assembled, from it's ground up resto, with the 1990
>Mustang engine, and new core radiator, I will tell you if all this Stuff
>works.
>
>Who knows, you could have the right answer.
>

>Larry

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)