Best fuel tank story, 2

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Best fuel tank story, 2
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:59:42 EST
    Thru Vintage roadracing, I met a very interesting Scotsman about 15 years
ago on Bainbridge Island near Seattle: Warren Gibbons.  In the late 1950's
and early 1960's he lived in Western Canada and was chosen to drive a Series
1 Sunbeam Rapier for a Rootes dealership in several rallys.
    As in Europe, the rallys were primarily run on undeveloped logging roads.
 With
tears of good memories in his eyes, he told me a story about losing control
of his Rapier and driving off-road, but recovering and continuing.  The car
had an unusual occasional crashing sound from the rear from then on...but
they made it to the next checkpoint on time and they lost no points.
    Early Rapier 1 cars had only 4 bolts holding the fuel tank to the trunk
floor.  Later Audax cars had two additional attaching points added.  When
they took their agricultural tour, they tore the aft fuel tank bolts
completely thru the trunk floor, and they dragged the rear of the tank all of
the way to the checkpoint.  Shades of Peter Harper!
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle