Re: Holley carbs

To: Derek White <derekw@zamnet.zm>
Subject: Re: Holley carbs
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:22:51 +0000
Derek White wrote:

> I just ordered a Holley 600 from Summit. Should I send it back and get an
> Edelbrock instead? I need to decide soon. Any ideas? Maybe the newer Holleys
> are less fussy/picky?
>
> Thanks, derek

No, the newer Holley's improvement consist of a anti-blow back check valve to
protect the power valve, otherwise no great changes.

If you are not using a LAT manifold (and I don't know what you are using but
would
suggest the Edelbrock Performer RPM as a good fit, other than an Edelbrock F4B
for
authenticity)

The original Tiger LAT option used a 465 CFM Holley, which is still made today,
and is a far better performer than the 600 CFM, which is too big even for a
289/302, unless significant head, cam, exhaust changes have been made. You'll
get
flat spots and bogging on start with the larger over-carburation.  The air flow
velocity is just too low with that size throttle bore to properly vaporize the
gas, and flow through the head at sufficient mass charge rates.  Sounds good,
but
bigger isn't necessarily better on flow tuning.

The Edlebrock, while not Tiger original, is a fine running carb, which is a
Carter
that has been modified for them by Weber. It has the same side floats as the
Holley (unless you get the center pivot model), which can starve out on race
turns
(if you do that) but is fine on the street.

The Edlebrock has a significant design advantage in that there is only one
gasket
on the carb, and it is horizontal and above the fuel level.  Stops deterioration
and leaks.  Holley has lots of vertical gaskets that are wetted by gas.

While Edlebrock also makes a 600 CFM, they make a very nice 500 CFM, which
Edlebrock, and Holley say are the right size for our V-8's, as do many drivers
who
have tried both.  The Edelbrock is tuned with needles and spring kits, instead
of
jets and power valves, and mod kits are available.

You pay your money, and you make your choice.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/