Re: Paint chips in my fuel!!

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint chips in my fuel!!
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:09:50 -0800
Doug, et Listers,

I believe the brown flakes (they are brown aren't they?) you find clogging
up your fuel lines is from a residue left by the old leaded gas we used to
use. Whether they are paint, rust, or tetraethyl lead, they are still a
problem though. I also believe the fuel tanks were originally bare metal.
Essentially, you have three choices: Put a big fuel filter BEFORE the fuel
pump and change it from time to time; remove the tanks and clean them and
then just replace them (what I did); or clean and then coat them inside as
many have recommended. What with all the MTBE, ETOH, and WXYZ's they are
putting in gas nowadays, you are probably safer not putting any coating
inside the tanks. BTW, there are starting to be problems with fuel pumps
disintegrating because of the environmental additives like MTBE they put in
the gas now. And I'm sure you've all seen reports of the bad effects of
MTBE on the ground water supply. I think we all need to keep an eye on our
fuel system for problems caused by the gas they sell us these days. Some
rubber and plastic just won't hold up to long exposure.

Bob

PS: If you put a filter before the fuel pump, you will need to use a pump
that can suck; like the gearotor type Mallory sells.

At 03:20 AM 3/1/00 +0000, Doug Clark wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Okay I have changed the last fuel filter in the Tiger! Actual, that is not
>the serious problem. Rather paint chips are clogging up my fuel lines and
>pump before they ever get to the 2 line filters I'm running. So I have
>decided to take action. On that note I was wondering what is the easiest way
>to remove the paint from inside the tanks? Is there a way that I can do it
>without catching myself on fire? If a shop is the only/best way then I
>should mention I live in San Jose, CA.
>
>Thanks
>
>Doug Clark

Robert L. Palmer