Re: Gearbox info

To: info@bcmustang.com
Subject: Re: Gearbox info
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:24:54 +0000
B&C Mustang wrote:

> big in big out not same  4th gear close ratio only
>
> chris m williams

Yes, you are technically correct, as usual, un that note.  But the gears and
internals are where torque breaks parts, and again, they are the same as the
Tiger
or Mustang innards. And it won't fit 260/289/302, anyway.  Wider is Better,
unless
you're on a fast race circuit, and stop light get-away isn't important.

My personal bottom line.  Top Loader wide ratio for street, Auto-X use - unless
you like to buzz around an Auto-x course in first (which is always available,
in a
pinch).  I tried out the MK II gears at Big Bear for the first time in a Tiger,
and in many years off the race circuit, and had enough torque in 2nd to get into
trouble easily enough. Ramon Spontelli runs a MK II (wide ratio stock) and is
right up there with the best there is. Second only to his wife, Theresia.

I can appreciate the 2300 rpm top gear cruise statement, and have it on the 4
spd
auto sedan.  Just don't want to tear up my floors, and redo the rear cross
member,
etc., for a less robust box.  This is my personal preference, and rationale, not
necessarily the only way to go. There are benefits to a good cruising gear.

TREMEC, for those who are interested, offer a 0.8 ratio fifth.  This is a much
better box than the T-5, and 0.8 is a much more suitable overdrive for
performance
and cruising.  The only problem is that this option costs TWICE the normal Hi Po
unit.  That would be about $2,000.  and harder to install the TREMEC than the
T-5,
but do-able..

Steve

P.S.: My last list message on this subject, unless someone wants to ask me an
off-list question for return to him alone.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/