Engine rebuild advice sought

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild advice sought
From: mbb <2mbb@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 08:30:50 -0800
Hello:

I've successfully extracted the non-stock engine from my MK1.  I'm
seeking ideas about what to do different when I rebuild.  My main
complaints about the previous engine are:  (1) summer over heating in
stop and go traffic, (2) poor fuel economy (ca. 12 mpg), (3) rough idle.

I've determined that I have a 302 cast in early 1969.  The heads are 2V
and the cam is a ford hi-performance hydraulic cam from the same era.
The distributor is a ford dual point, mechanical advance only, from late
1968.  I have an Edelbrock Torker 289 manifold--I'm told by Edelbrock
this is most similar to today's Torker II 302.  The carburetor is a
Holley 1850 600 CFM.  I had the radiator rebuilt last year, and that
seemed to help the over heating problem some, but did not completely
eliminate that problem.

I intend to drive the car on the street and have no plans for racing or
showing the car. Some moderate amount of performance intersts me
(because it's fun!), but I would like the car to be reliable and trouble
free.

I'm thinking that I should change the manifold to a Performer or
Performer RPM and maybe the cam and/or carburetor, but I would like to
hear what you all suggest.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mark Burnett
B9471102