inquiry 030600a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 030600a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:10:17 -0600
herbeam wrote:
>Subject: NonSunbeamContent : Applies
>(Delete if educated about tools !)
>MECHANIC'S TOOL GUIDE
>HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, (SNIP)

        herbeam, the Tool List from Peter Egan's article in Road & Track 1st
circulated on our List back in May, 1996; it's still funny. I found it in
the archives, along with my feeble attempts to add to his list, which follow
(reposted here for the benefit of the newer List members):
BATTERY CHARGER: for releasing the smoke from the electrical systems of
British cars like, say, Tigers. All electrical tools can do this, but not
quite so effectively.
OIL FILTER WRENCH: used to remove paint from tightly-installed oil filters.
WHEEL CHOCKS: useful for testing a car's traction, usually right after
lowering the car from a jack, by attempting to drive the car without moving
the chock.
ALLEN WRENCH: for use on special bolts that are designed to be rounded off
on the _inside_.
BALL-JOINT SEPARATOR: Makes pairs of ventilating holes on inner fenderwells
of overheating British cars.
FLARE NUT WRENCH: to carefully protect the wrench flats on brake bleeder
screws during the process of stripping the threads on brake cylinders.
MAGNET-ON-A-STICK: device for proving that beer can pull tabs dropped inside
an engine are indeed made of aluminum, and are thus non-magnetic. (O.K., so
I'm not Peter Egan.)
PARTS CLEANER: a handy storage area for one's wife's colander, basting
brush, etc.
BUMPER JACK: for testing how advanced rust has become in the bumper supports
and the surrounding areas.
DIAGONAL CUTTERS: give a decorative frayed end to stranded cables.
(my apologies to old-time List members, who've seen this before)

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333