Tonneau Cutting for Roll Bars

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tonneau Cutting for Roll Bars
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:17:12 -0800
I have the CAT roll bar and want to cut my tonneau for the bar to fit
through.  There needs to be three holes - one at each end for the side
tubes (A&C) and one just off to the right from center for the diagonal tube
(B).  ASCII Art:

__________________
|                   \                    |
|                     \                  |
|                       \                |
A                      B             C

There also needs to be three cuts.  One at each end to open up to allow the
side tubes through, and then one from the cross tube to the right side tube
too (B to C).

Martha Wheat has advised that I simply cut through the end of the side
zippers through to the side tubes, and then straight through to the
diagonal tube (B to C).  She will then take out the zippers and replace
with velcro, and put velcro along the slit from the diagonal to the side
tube (B to C).

Has anyone already done this and have any advice?  I've been thinking about
it and I was wondering if it might be better to not run the side cuts
through the zippered part, but maybe back a few inches to the side, thus
leaving the functionality of the zipper to undo when driving with the
tonneau over the back only.  I've also been wondering if there is any
improvement for running that slit between the center and side tube in front
of the tubes or behind the tubes rather than in the middle.

Maybe this is 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of another.  But, before I permanently
slice and dice, if anyone's been there and done that, but regrets it, I
thought I'd ask.

Thanks,  Jay