Speedo &Tachometer

To: Tigers submission <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo &Tachometer
From: Harry Elam <HBElam@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:28:46 -0500
REF:    Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:07:40 EST
        From: Hal436@aol.com
        Subject: Speedometer

For Hal Jean, et al,

        In my experience, with over 20 years Tiger ownership,  the
Speedo is pretty much directly mechanical.  You can clean and lubricate
the pointer spindle pivet points but the spinning magnets that cause
needle rotation don't seem to lend themselves to much user adjustment.
You could send them to an instrument rebuild facility, maybe.

        Our tach's are dwell dependent.  If your points are misadjusted
or you have gone to some electronic ignition your old tach simply is not
going to be accurate.  If you still have points and the dwell is dead on,
then there is an opening in the back of your tach for a small slothead
screwdriver to adjust the tachometer for proper reading.  This adjust is
a rather fragile trimmer potentiometer so be careful.  By the way you will
be standing on your head under the dash when doing this.  Years ago,
before my shift to an electronic ignition, I glued one of the old plastic
electronic "tuning" tool screwdrivers to the pot, allowing adjustment
after each point change/adjustment.  I could reach under the dash with
relative ease and make this simple adjustment in comparison with
the tach feature of my old dwell/tach.

Cheers,  Harry Elam
B382000471
Jaguar XJ6