Voltage Stabilizer / Instuments / Tiger 1A

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer / Instuments / Tiger 1A
From: Mark Fridenstine <laceyf@crosslink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:16:14 -0800
Listers:
    I need desparate HELP!!!! I installed a new dash last summer and had
trouble getting the fuel and temp working. I asked several questions
about the problem and burned up several voltage stabilizers. Rick and I
are on very good terms. Ha! Ha!  Well I had a person come by tonight and
worked on the guages and wiring. Well, Now I have several new questions
I very much need assistance on. I called Rich to get another Voltage
stabilizer. Is it possible for a guage to be checked by wiring a 9 volt
battery to the guage to each post. This will register about 9/10 of the
guages needle. Well these are my questions:
1)  Is this a good way to check the guages Fuel/temp to see if they are
okay or need to be  replaced?
2) I tried this, and the Fuel went slightly past 11, and the temp moved
to about 230 but jumped about 4 times (the only way it moved at all) to
get to 9/10 or 230 deg. Do they seem sound? If I hook them up to the
battery (car) they go all the way slowly. Is the temp good and fuel
guage not?
3) The temp sender on the intake registers 1,325 ohms at room
temperature about 58 F.
or about 15C. Shouldn't this be about 150 ohms?
4) Is the sender way off, and could it have messed up the guages??
5) Which  side of each guage goes to the sending units? By the wiring
diagram it's hard to tell. Zero side or 11/250 side?
6) Can these guages be replaced or rebuilt? If they do who do you
suggest?
7) Do they need to be? Or am I hooking them up all wrong.
8)A mechanic from work who does alot of trouble shooting on wiring,
thinks the guages may be both bad, and what would make them both die at
the same time.
    I pulled alot of great info from Olson's web page. At this point I'm
desperate for these parts on the Tiger to be fixed. Summer is coming and
I'm very concerned with overheating.
  Sorry for so many questions at one time.
             Thank You very much for any and all help with these
problem.
    Mark F.