Re: Trick Flow vs. Edelbrock Heads

To: twojohnsons@home.com
Subject: Re: Trick Flow vs. Edelbrock Heads
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:33:48 -0800
twojohnsons@home.com wrote:

>  And torque is the "funnest" thing
> about a Tiger. It will appear once you ditch the 288 rear end gears.

Al,

I agree with most of what you say, and believe you are quite accurate on the
smaller
valve (and runner volume) being better for street uses as the velocities are
higher,
and the volumetric efficiency greater at the rpm's you really deal with.

My Opinion on 2.88 Gears. (For what it's worth from someone who has BTDT)

I do, however, not agree with your statement about the 2.88 rear end gears.
They are
just fine.  It's that MkI, IA top loader first gear that's wrong.  It gives you
60 mph
in first.  Who needs that.  It's like taking off in 2nd in other cars.  Putting
in
higher numeric ratio gears will give you better first gear overall ratio, but
it will
kill you in hi.

Rootes finally got the right answer in the MK II, wide ratio gears!  Now don't
get all
"het up"
and bothered by that terminology.  These are not like those wide ratio gears
(SROD)
that make you feel you've skipped one when you shift.  They are equally spaced,
just
like the close ratio, but start at a more reasonable value in first.  All the
other
gears are fine too, and top still gives you 1:1 and 72 mph at 3,000 rpm (with
reasonable tires).

The parts are a direct drop-in to the close ratio box, and are not expensive.
The
result is very impressive.

Oh yes, you Tigers with a mild 260, you're going to have to get some of the new
lot of
Traction-Master bolt-ons, or you'll be spinning rubber and smoking the tires
when you
take off, just like some kid.  With the T-M's all that work goes into great
acceleration improvement.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/