Ride Height Help

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Ride Height Help
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 10:44:07 -0400
Hi Group.  As some of you know, I have been restoring my MKI and have
just put the front and rear suspension back on.  This is a total ground
up resto.
The problem is the ride height in front and back.  Engine, trans in car,
as well as radiator and coolant, but no bumper and hood yet.  Here is
what has been done.

Front - Frame rails straight, crossmember welded, and reinforced, all
bushing replaced, and all a arms, fulcrum pins, etc. examined and OK,
and all put back together.

CAT 330"/lb. springs installed.  Classic Sunbeam rubber insulators.

Rear - Springs disassembled, sand blasted, and painted with POR-15, and
reassembled with original "buttons" that were in good shape.  Original
eye bushings were in good shape, and springs reassembled using standard
shackles, and the rest of std Tiger suspension.

Height of car in front is 9 1/8" vs 6 1/8"

Height of car in rear is 9" vs 6/3/4".

These height are per an article from Larry Wright.  Height is measured
at the vertical seam on the bottom of the car, starting from the rear of
the front fender arch and extending to the front of the rear fender arch
of the car.  The heights are taken at the front and rear of this
vertical seam.

The car is up about 3" too high and I know from previous articles in CAT
some have cut front springs, 1 coil.

Tires are 15" 195-15/195 front, and 225-15/50 rear, with approximately
the same rolling diameter as the old 70 series 13" that I had on before.
 The difference is not the approximately 3" difference that I have now.

The front, which does not have the shocks yet, moves freely up and down,
and does not bind. Front bushings nuts have not been tightened yet.

The rear, with out the shocks, moves freely up and down, and does not
bind.  The bushings in the springs are original, as they looked OK, and
the grade 8 bolts holding them, have moly grease on them so everything
move very freely.  The trackson masters have new poly bushing from Rick,
and do not bind, and the spring clamps have been loosened to that they
move freely on the springs.

The other day, I jacked the left rear up, into the wheel well, just like
it would be with maximum travel, and when it came down, it was in the
same position, which was still too high

Although I have asked some on the list for advise, I still don't have a
solution yet.

My dilemma is that the car get a new ss custom 2 1/4" exhaust this
Thursday, and with the car so high, and the exhaust going under the rear
axle, the problem needs to be addressed now to position the exhaust correctly.

I need to bring the car down in the front and rear, but the rear is my
immediate concern.

Can you help.  Thanks.

Larry