Re: EFI - still under construction

To: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Subject: Re: EFI - still under construction
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:30:07 -0400
Theo, I had the advantage of working with a clean sheet of paper, or in
this case a bare body shell, to determine the location of my lines.
There are three routes, or maybe more available.

1.  Inside the car for apart of the way.  I you start from the rear, you
could drill a hole in the rear on the right where the brake cable would
go, and route a line through the interior of the car to the firewall and
then either to the front or rear of the engine.

The area where the line goes through the rear is too close to the rear
springs for my comfort, and I just don't like having the gas line
running through the interior of the car, even if it is a one piece line.

2.  Run the line(s) through the holes under the frame and away from the
exhaust.  This sound great, until you try to bend the lines and no way.
I mocked the bends with a coat hanger wire, and I can't bend lines that
tight, and I would have to have at least 2 junctions to make it.

3. So that leaves the last and should have been the obvious route, the
factory route.  Of course, you don't know unless you consider something
the factory did not do.  They were good on a lot of things, but not all.

This route goes from the pump, either in the MKII wheel well, or where
the Alpine battery was.  It then goes in the tunnel for the drive
shaft/trans tunnel to the fire wall area, and up the fire wall, as in
the MKII, or alone the frame rail to the front of the engine.

I have never seen a stock MKII with the gas line at the firewall, but
there is room for this, and is what I did with my MKI without engine and trans.

Theo, it is beyond my ability to bend a single line w/o junctions from
the rear of the car to the front.  There are so many bends, that I could
not do it in one line.  I am also not sure that even if you bent it that
it could be installed in the car, as with all the bends, it may not fit
in one piece.

I looked at my car in the body shop, when it was on the rotisserie
(spelling) and tried to figure it out, and wound up with 2 lines and 1
junction front of the differential hump.

Someone may have done it, but I could not, even though I don't like
joints either.  I bent all new lines with new routes for the brake
system, and most, except for the very tight bends can be done with your
hand if you take care.  With 3/8" you have to be Superman, or you will
collapse the line in relative tight bends.

You can run both the supply and return lines at the same location as
there is room in the stock location.

Good Luck.

Larry