Re: inquiry 042400a

To: "Wright Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 042400a
From: "Pete Stanisavljevich" <pete_stanisavljevich@coxtarget.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:58:16 -0400
Listers,

I've always heard figures of "power loss" through a drive line of 5% to 25% and
I always wondered where does this figure come from? Has anybody does a
measurement?

For the 20% figure quoted below, a 300 hp engine on the dyno should expect to
have the transmission, driveshaft, and diff. consume 60 of those ponies?  I
assume that rolling and air resistance are not considered.

That seems really, really high to me.

Lift a car off of it's rear wheels, and you can turn the wheels easily with your
hand on the drive shaft, with the car in gear and the clutch pressed in. I know
my hand isn't anywhere near 60hp strong. Heck, my wife beats me in arm
wrestling! (really!)

Maybe Laifman, or somebody can offer up an explanation. I just can see that much
power being gobbled up.

Peter S.
B9471799