RE: inquiry 042700m

To: "'Wright, Larry'" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 042700m
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:40:49 -0600
Hi all,
Last year, while driving down to SUNI, I broke the air cleaner stud with a
couple hundred miles to go. I had previously jam-nutted the stud (which was
a piece of 1/4" threaded rod) in place, and it broke right above the jam
nut. Fortunately the top nut and washer didn't let the upper stud fragment
go, and I was able to pitch the whole air cleaner in the trunk until I got
to the hardware store at big sky.

I think part of the reason was just the ongoing steady vibration, and the
second reason is that there wasn't anything otherwise retaining the air
cleaner (I don't have the PCV breather hose connected there).

Anyway, be warned... Don't know what you're gonna do about it, but there it
is. I replaced my threaded rod with a Loc-tited machine bolt (grade 5).
Maybe the right thing is a bolt with a reduced-diameter shank so as to move
the stress concentration away from the threads, and then some kind of
vibration damper (the PCV plumbing?) on the air cleaner bottom itself.

Regards,
Theo