SMOG DOOM

To: alpines@autox.team.net, Tigers@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SMOG DOOM
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:58:08 -0700
I don't intend to create a false alarm or anything, but today's LA Times
had an article that California is far behind on meeting the Federal Clean
Air Act.  In a report by "state air-quality officials" from the "air
board", the primary blame is from the Legislature "weakening" the
standards.  The report apparently specifically says eliminating an
exemption for pre-1974 cars would help reduce emissions, and calls for more
stringent inspections standards and full repair requirements for all cars.

I will point out that the article also says that California is required to
reduce smog forming gases by 112 tons each day, but have only reduced it by
45.  I have to say that I find it extremely hard to believe that killing
pre-74 cars will gain 67 tons of emissions.

Finally, the article says that such changes are apt to be opposed in the
Legislature and by motorists.  However, the article says that California
will be subject to fines from the Federal government if we don't meet 112
tons.  At some point, those fines are going to outweigh upsetting some
motorists.