Oil filter adapters and a little politics.

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil filter adapters and a little politics.
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:30:47 -0700

Jim Pickard asked:

"1) The motor mounts barely clear the headers.  Do the headers have to be
dented to create more clearance?

2) I've got a shorty oil filter and it won't work with the headers.  What
is
a recommended remote filter setup?

3) The fuel line runs right by the headers.  He is concerned about the
potential for vapor lock, and wants to reroute the line over top of the
engine.  Does this sound like a reasonable idea?"

If any of you out there are repulsed by modifications done to an OEM
system, PRESS DELETE NOW.

In order to install a remote oil filter system on my Tiger I used the
following parts.

Canton billet aluminum oil filter adapter.
Earls supply billet aluminum remote filter mounting bracket.
Braided stainless hose with AN type fittings.
Earls supply 19 row oil radiator.

The Canton oil filter adapter is the part that mounts at the engine oil
filter location. The remote mount is the new filter mount. I plumbed these
two items together using a high quality hose system.  The oil filter
adapter is viewable at Mustangs Plus website. I dont know of a location
where you could view the remote mounting bracket.

http://mustangsplus.com/newpart/oil_pans/index.htm

The Canton adapter is a pretty substantial piece of aluminum, I dont have
any clearance problems with my CAT 1 5/8" headers,  The Canton part may or
may not impact the SS headers.

I would not dent the headers to clear anything. If the clearance is close,
then let it remain close. Restricting the exhaust flow out of one of the
cylinders defeats the purpose of installing headers.

I mounted the remote oil filter mounting bracket on the left front frame
rail, inside the left front fender. Its kind of a strange place for it, but
oil changes are a breeze. No road impact problems as of yet.

To eliminate fuel line heating problems caused by the headers, I re-routed
the fuel line into the transmission tunnel and ran it straight up the
middle of the firewall above the bell-housing. My fuel line terminates at
the firewall just behind the carb. Reasonable or not, its working well for
me.

If engine cooling is an issue with your car, now is a good time to consider
an oil cooler.

Mike Sutter