Fitting Dash Tops

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Fitting Dash Tops
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 18:21:23 -0700
I found this is nowhere near as easy as it appears.  I've done it twice,
and think the third would be the charm.

First, I've always had the dash off.  I suspect that you won't get the room
you need just lowering it.  The steering column will hit before you get it
low enough, and I don't know if that will be low enough to roll it back out
of the way.  The part you need to get the windshield out of the way for is
the flat parts that are maybe 2.5" wide and run along the underside, held
up by rivets (factory rivets no less :-).   I did not find an acceptable
black cardboard/press board type of material.  I ended up using a black
plastic that was rough and didn't really "look" plastic.  (Ok, originality
freaks, go ahead and complain - but you can't have my Holbay engine or SV
OD either).

The second problem is a little known secret.  They don't fit!  They are
darn close, and really nice.  But, from the source, I'm told they are a
little off on one side.  So, no matter what you do, they are slightly
warped, or something, and won't be perfect. However, they're darn close and
awesome stuff considering the options.

The third thing is that I would suggest not putting contact cement on every
surface.  The best way is probably putting contact cement on JUST the top
along the a couple inch band running just behind the bend.  This allows you
to push the new dashpad up against the 2" lip that hangs down in a slightly
raised position, then WITH A FRIEND, center it as best you can, lining up
the vents too, then slowly lower it down to the contact cement.  (This
would be how I would do it for my third attempt).

There are some very important points here.  The front lip really doesn't
need the glue.  The rear end of the top is going to be held down by the
windshield itself and the vents.  If you have to hold the entire piece
(forward/back, up/down) just away from the metal, you are likely to get it
in the wrong spot in the last minute push into place.  The slide method is
the key to avoiding that.

Also, one time I did it, I put glue all over the top, and then used wax
paper to go inbetween the car and the dashpad, with the idea that I'd pull
out one strip at a time.  This actually worked better to get the pad lined
up best.  However, most of the waxed paper ripped inside and the top ended
up not being glued down everywhere.  The next time I tried stiffer board
instead of waxed paper.  It was also difficult because it did not bend with
the top well and made it difficult to put it all in place.

Finally, the friend I think would be most helpful.  I did it both times on
my own and found I really could have used the extra hands to get it right.

You may want to consider sealing the end under the windshield in case water
gets in there.

Also, the material at the far ends is still somewhat of a mystery to me.  I
think I've got it now.  But, I'm not quite sure how to explain it except to
leave enough material hanging over to play with once you have the rest in
place.

If I think of more, I'll let you know.