Sunbeams, Shopping Carts and Tar

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Sunbeams, Shopping Carts and Tar
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:19:15 EDT
Jim,
Love the way you have related our Sunbeams to an everyday task such as
groceries shopping.  I will never look at a wobbling wheel on my cart at
Safeway the same way again.  Why did Rootes do what they did?  Your question
has sparked some thought on many a subject.
Last night I finished my routine run and was standing in the garage cooling
down with a protein shake and just looking at the Beam's.  I had a strange
thought about the factory.
I was looking at the series 5 and contemplating the next move as my son and I
have just finished an interior renovation.  All the garage doors were open and
the sunset was such it lit up the interior of the Series 3 in the garage
corner.  The car has no doors and is just a shell in the raw.
The setting sun lit up the interior and it dawned on me....
DAMN THEY PUT A LOT OF TAR IN THAT CAR!!
I thought about what the job must have been like, you know, what would they
call it? Tar Tech, Tar Coat Supervisor, Adhesive Foreman, Undercoat Operator.
Who would do this job?  I imagined it being a starting position.  Heck, with
good performance and time on the job, you could move up to Carpet Tech., or
even Soft-top installer!  What would the pay be?
I imagine this was a job that nobody wanted.  I imagine this worker had an
attitude and maybe that's why you find some spots having no tar and some with a
disgusting ½" that screams out "I don't care".
Was it a disciplinary position?  Maybe if you called in sick or came in late
the Factory Foreman said, "sorry, you weren't here when we started, I had to
put Bill on Bumpers today, we need you in Tar".
Maybe it was a young kid.  You know, the plant managers sisters son or
something like that.  They say it's not "what" you know but "who" you know.
This may have been a starting position for those wanting to work in the plant
after High School.  I could see it like this...
"Heh Miles, where have you been all summer?  Hans and I haven't seen you down
at the lake".
"I'm working at the Rootes Factory.  My uncle Winchell got me the job, he's a
foreman.  Say's I can move up to the Engine room by next year".
"Really, what are you doing now"?
"Smear'n Tar. I really hate the job but I have to pay my dues.  Today was great
though.  Some ass that works carpet was giving me a bad time all day.  I really
got him back good".
"Really, what did you do Miles?"
"The last car I sent down the line I just covered with Tar.  He was pissed!
Every time he tried to put a piece of felt in it would float to a different
position.  He won't mess with me anymore".

Paul Scofield
Colorado