Re: Rearend revisited

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Rearend revisited
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 21:58:22 -0700
At 09:12 PM 5/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>  Thanks to all who replied,
>I slid the ring gear bearings over as far as I could, but there is still a
>fair amount of backlash. Even when I force the pinion over towards the ring
>gear the backlash seems quite a bit. If I go ahead and replace the bearings
>I would appreciate it if anyone could answer the following questions:
>
>1.  I understand that the shims "should" be the same if I replace the
>bearings (can I really count on the bearing being the same size as
>origionally installed), do I need to compensate for "wear" on the ring and
>pinion?
         You might be able to use the original shim specs if the gears were
properly set up.  From your description this does not appear to be the case.

>2. It seems that pinion depth can be checked by placing a round rod across
>the center of the two bearing receivers then measuring the distance from the
>bottom of the rod to the pinion face and adding half the amount of the
>carrier diameter to find the pinion depth (the manual shows the distance is
>the pinion face to the centerline of the carrier bearing(s).
         The methodology is correct but the precision of this dimension is
critical to proper set up. The dimension you should be targeting in this
measurement is electro etched on the end of the pinion as + or - from the
nominal dimension shown in the manual.  The backlash dimension should be in
the range of 0.007" as measured at the outside of the ring gear.  This OEM
dimension is also etched on the outside edge of the ring gear.  The two
gears are also serialized as a set and you should find matching numbers on
both the ring and pinion.

>3. The carrier should come out without the "Chuchill" press or case
>spreader. When I pushed the bearings over I was able to insert a .025 feeler
>gauge between the bearing and the carrier. However, can anyone tell my how
>much force is needed to remove the pinion from the rear bearing. And how
>much force is needed to remove the carrier bearings. It seems if it takes
>quite a force and the shims need furture adjustment this could be a real
>problem.
         The carrier assembly and ring gear will slip into the case when
the press or spreader is appropriately applied.  Your description tells me
that the current set up is wrong-wrong-wrong.  I'm concerned that you need
someone with appropriate experience to examine your gears and bearings.  If
the internals  are not irreparably damaged already, they will be shortly if
you try to run them with a bad setup.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
but this is one area where pretty close can be a very expensive
lesson.  Good luck in any case.

Tom Hall