Re: Paint matches

To: City Of Antioch <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Paint matches
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 09:14:36 -0700
Bill,

That was ME, and here is what I said:

“Tower Paints sells original formulation Rootes (and other)
paints.  They have it in enamel in a spray can for about
$9.00.

Tower Paint
922 Oregon Street
PO BOX 2345
Oshkosh WI 54903
920-235-6520
800-779-6520

For instance, Chrysler-UK-Rootes Code 86 Green is #97181DH

This might be cross-referenced, but you'll find the remark
"darker", "lighter", or some other qualifier for their
standard mixes.  The optical match is closer, and I don't
think you really want enamel.

This would be good to spray the test panel provided by
professional paint stores. It would be the correct color,
and they could match it optically in their better paints.
The good ones spray a sample up to allow you to compare the
two in different lighting conditions.  The test panel I used
was a gloss coated board with a large black and white
checkerboard on it.  When you've sprayed it so you cant see
the pattern, you've got enough paint.  I covered half the
card when I sprayed, and they covered my color when they
sprayed.  Good way to get a real side-by-side.  Recommend
polyurethane paint by PPG in there best grade.  I wouldn't
use a clear coat over anything but a metallic paint (damn
few Tiger's), as it just doesn't look right on solid colors,
and there is some problems with touch-up and repair.

Steve”

LATE NOTE: Since our resident paint expert, Tim Ronak of Sikkens Akzo
Nobel,
has taken issue with my promotion of PPG, I will readily admit it should

have said ‘a good two part system’. In addition, he likes a clear coat
over
a solid color, and my personal preference is to keep a period car from
the ‘wet look’, with the polyurethane base of the color coat carrying
the
clear, anyway. It may just be a difference of aesthetics, we’ll have to
learn
more later.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/