Re: Coil

To: Doug Clark <dougmclark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Coil
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:55:21 -0700
Doug Clark wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I've recently purchased a new coil. The coil is a MSD Blaster Hi-Vibration
> coil part #8222. My question is, do I still need to use the  stock resistor?
> Or can this new coil take 12volts. The rest of the ignition system is stock.
> Has anyone added this coil, while leaving the rest of the ing. sys. stock?
> Thanks
>
> Doug C

Doug,

Coil manufacturers usually specify whether the coil is for electronic ignition
systems, or point systems. If the coil requires a resistor (point type) it is
usually supplied.

A better question might be what current your point system can stand. Real
points can take a lot of current. Of course there are plenty of disadvantages
that outweigh that feature. Some electronic point switching systems are current
sensitive. The Pertronics, for example, limits the resistance of the coil, or
the current in can switch. They specify that a “points” coil be used. If an
electronic ignition system is used (MSD-6, for example) then the current to be
handled by the “points” is very low, and the coil isn't a problem.

On the coil side, there are 12 volt coils that can handle full voltage. Many,
however, are rated at 9 volts and only use 12 volts during cranking/start.

Read the manufacturers requirements for each portion of your ignition system.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/