More... pain in the rearend

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: More... pain in the rearend
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:48:35 -0700
  In pulling apart my original Tiger rearend I found that the carrier flange
that supports one of the bearings is undersize (about .008). I assume that
the seal leaked, fluid disappeared and the bearing spun at some time in its
life. Does anyone know if the splines in the "Postal" diff. are the same as
the axles in the Tiger? Or is there any other rearend (Dana 44) that should
have the right splines? I have thought of hunting up some .004 shim stock,
but if it ever got loose... !
   Finally does anyone have an original, very (as in very, very) reasonably
priced Tiger diff.
(with gears) that might just be going to the CAT swap meet on Sunday (June
18th). Maybe someone has added gears beyond 2:88 or a limited slip and is
getting tired of tripping over THAT doorstop. Between someone running out
gear oil and water getting in, this
rearend is ready for the "colostomy bag!!!"       Thanks, Tom