inquiry 061200e

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 061200e
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:03:51 -0500
        Thanks, gang for the responses on overdrive switches, gauges and the
like.

        It looks like an overdrive switch is no-go from a cost/availability
standpoint. A gazillion of you recommended the pull-back-on-turn-signal
solution, even through I really did want to keep that option open. I guess
one possibility might be to get one of these mystery switches, and rotate
the _old_ T/S switch over to the right, modify _that_ for a horn. Maybe. I
still don't know if the lever is included, or separate. My T/S lever is
modified already; I put a dog-leg in the lever so it's roughly parallel to
the spokes of the steering wheel. I guess I'd do the same with any 'new'
switch for symmetry.

        I've received one offer of "loaner" gauges, locally -- out of an
Alpine. Why do I have it in my head that the speedo won't work; thread sizes
or something? Anyone ever try it?

>>         On another subject: I cannot hear the T/S flasher at all, and
have a
>> couple of times left the signal on (ick). Is there a plug-in flasher
that's
>> louder? And would it let out all the Lucas smoke if I used it? Just a
louder
>> 'beep' would be fine, not a J C Junk unit that plays "Dixie". :^)

        Steve Laifman replies:
>Don't know, Larry. They kill themselves trying to make it quieter. Doesn't
your
>wheel return cancel it? Would accept "Die Valkerie", instead? Makes it go
>faster! {9->

        Actually, it doesn't self-cancel. I have a "repair kit" somewhere,
and should look into installing it. Further, some lane-changes probably
wouldn't activate that feature anyhow. The combination of a slightly
undersized steering wheel obscuring the indicator light, and my poor hearing
(does it make any sound at all?) conspire to trick me into driving along
w/the T/S on. "Die Valkerie"? Sell that idea to the BMWCCA. :^) Now, "Hold
That Tiger" might be another story. Now, I think J C Junk does sell
programmable air horns with that tune, but 100+ db blasting until I turn off
the signal might be a bit over the top.

        Hey, 15 years after joining, I get a mention in the TE/AE newsletter
-- and I get mis-quoted. Ah, the joke's on me!

        Larry Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"