Re: 5 Speed Hunt

To: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Hunt
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:23:08 -0700
Steve,

Taking the average of your numbers and assuming your tire diameter is about
stock, I think the gears you have are 3.54. These would be OK gears to use
with a 5-speed with 0.75 fifth. This will give you a fifth gear overall
ratio about 8% taller than the standard 2.88 gears. 3.73 gears would be a
closer match to 2.88s. Not sure if you are serious about the 5-speed
tranny, but just thought I'd point this out in case. Another thing to
consider is how the engine is cammed. If it has a lot of overlap; i.e., it
doesn't pull real well at low rpms, then you will need something bigger
than 2.88s, although maybe not 3.54s.

I second Steve's advice not to be too hasty. On the one hand, there are
quite a few Tiger owners who have chosen to use the 3.54 gears and are
happy with that decision, so it won't hurt to drive it like it is for
awhile just to "benchmark" the current setup. Meanwhile, save your nickles
for a 5-speed and then you can have your cake and eat it too. Just my two
cents.

Bob