RE: i am home

To: "'Chris Vaught'" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: i am home
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:34:40 -0600
Chris,
Congratulations on making it back to the continent with your Tiger. I've
been using 75W90 synthetic in the steering rack since last summer, and I've
had no problems with that at all; when I change the trans and diff gear oil
I'll likely put synthetic in there as well. Since our climate sees a huge
temperature swing (compared to San Diego for example) it's nice to use a
lubricant that has a broader viscosity rating. Another thing is that the
synthetics typically have much better high temperature characteristics than
petroleum oils, and that translates to longer life for your engine and
driveline. I've used Mobil 1 15W-50 in my race car and it was expensive, but
well worth the peace of mind. I haven't had any seal weeping problems that I
could attribute to the use of synthetic oil - some people say that this
happens.

In the brakes I'd still use a mineral oil based fluid, because silicone just
isn't where it's at when things get hot. In the clutch circuit, however, the
use of silicone fluid wouldn't be an issue, if you don't mind having two
different (incompatible) hydraulic systems.

Regards,
Theo