paint advice needed

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: paint advice needed
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 07:29:46 -0700
Dear List,
  I would appreciate any input on the following items:

1. I am not dipping my car, but would like to deal as best I can with the
underside of the vehicle. Unlike my rusted out sills the Tigers belly (so to
speak) has only suface rust and that is not everywhere. While I had my
rearend out I sandblasted it and applied a Rustolium "like" Rusty Metal
Primer, Rust Defender I think it was called. Well,  I waited a week for
sections to dry and finally suspended it over my BBQ to bake it on. Even
though it got hot enough to sizzle spit some parts of the paint were still
soft. In defeat I sprayed the thing with "engine paint" and what ever will
be will be.
 The two most prominent products advertised seem to be POR -15, and the Bill
Hirsh (spelling?) products.

A.  Would anyone recommend these or another product?

As I read the POR - 15 info it seems that the best thing you can do is
actually get the part to start rusting and then apply their product
(strange). With my rear springs I have belt sanded/sand blasted the surface.

B. Will this "coarse" surface allow POR - 15 and like products to adhere?

C. Should I leave areas where the undercoat is intact and showing no signs
of rust (such as the area above the rear that saw less abrasion then the
lower parts of the under belly)?

I don't want to do any more work than I have to, but as much as I should and
with the rearend and springs out that area is more accessable now.

D. Are those little round(ish) rubber buttons that space the leaf springs
apart available anywhere? Or does someone have a homemade replacement idea?

F. Finally I am still looking for 2:88 gears. I will be in the
S.F./Sacramento and vicinity from the middle of July to the end of that
month so if someone had a good set (reasonably priced) I might be able to
pick them up. I'm in Thousand Oaks if anyone in this area has a set.

"Econo Tiger" progressing inch by inch. Thanks to any who can help, Tom Witt