Re: temp guage and still too hot(?)

To: "Tim Beloney" <65_s5v6@prontomail.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: temp guage and still too hot(?)
From: "Steve Griffing" <bartdog@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:30:11 -0400
> I just drove around town (Alameda, max 25 mph) in traffic and about
> 80F temperature.  The car read as hot as about 160F.  When I got home
> I tested this to be about 217F actual.  Seems too hot for me.  Is
> it?  Of course when driving at freeway speeds the temp guage reads
> 120F.  I have an electric fan for the stop and go stuff, but should I
> be worried?  Is the answer to just try NOT driving in stop and go
> traffic (impossible where I live) and let the motor break in a bit
> more?

Don't worry about the temp to much.  If it only got to 217 in stop and go
you are fine.
170F at highway speeds is "Fabulous".

As far as the break in, yes, avoid stop and go traffic.  The idea is to
break the engine in (Seat the rings) by driving at different engine speeds.
Light accelleration and decelleration(sp).

Good luck and enjoy the six.

Steve
'65 SeriesIV
w/ 2.8 EFI (Camaro)