Re: Thanks - but not so fast!

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks - but not so fast!
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:47:29 -0700
"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Listers,
> I really appreciate all of the feedback.....THANKS!
> I hope to get started on this ASAP and just so I am clear I would like to
> "bolt in" the 302 in the place of the 260. So far I now need to obtain a
> flywheel for the 302 either a Balancer  or machine the one I have. Get a
> bell housing and clutch arrangement then just "bolt it in" right?
> If any one has the alternator bracket I need to run with the front Tiger
> pulley arrangement. Either for an alternator or a generator.
> Best Regards,
> Tim

Tim,

The balancer you have is a 28 oz, and cannot be machined to be a 50 oz.
these are crankshaft "balance" equivalent numbers, not actual part weights.
Expect a $300 cost.

"Bolting in a bell housing", assuming it is the aluminum one, with the
correct fork and O.A. length, still leaves you with a transmission bolt
pattern that does not match the 6 bolt pattern without a later model 8 hole
(double 4) transmission, like the Mk 2 or later Ford.  Your going to have to
weld aluminum "bosses" inside the bell housing, where your 4 bolts line up,
and drill and tap them to accept the tranny bolts.  The center hole for the
tranny bearing retainer is larger, as well.  You'll have to get a new or
used later model bearing retainer (nose piece) and replace the smaller one
(cheap).

You are still stuck for a clutch release unless you have a Mk II slave
bracket.  The other alternatives were listed in other's mail, and they are
not cheap, about $300.  I believe CAT used to make a copy, but it had
insufficient bend strength, and a used MK II is tough to find.  I've been
looking for one to take the measurements from for a design with welded
structural reinforcing, but no one seems willing to part with one for a
while.

See Theo's page for alternator alternatives.
(http://members.home.net/tsmit/alternator.html), but a later model 302 has
an alternator boss as part of the casting.

You will have to decide on serpentine vs 'retrofit to original' on your
timing chain cover and water pump.

This is not a difficult job, just not as easy as a fe e-mails may imply.

Some have successfully rebuilt their 260's with a longer stroke 302 cranks
and had good results.  Talk to Allan Connell.

302 conversions can, and have, been done.  Be forewarned, however that there
are at least 3 different '302' engines out there, not including the
Motorsport Aluminum head long block, or the Mexican blocks.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/