Re: Silicine RTV sealants

To: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Silicine RTV sealants
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:06:23 -0700
At 05:07 PM 8/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Gang:
>Thanks for the tips on my fuel smelling Tiger. I replaced the crossover
>vent hose and the fuel filler hoses and gaskets yesterday. I also
>"siliconed" around the fuel level sender gasket as it was suggested this
>could be oozing fumes to. That being said, in my drive last night (with
>the top down, so this is not definitive) I think I'm still am getting
>raw fuel smell whiffs. I'm going to drive to work tommorow with the top
>up so I'll report the results back to the lists. I guess if it's still
>stinking it means the tanks are leaking so I guess that's my next fun
>job. I'm getting black flakes in my fuel filter anyway so it seems I'll
>need to do the tanks regardless.
>
>Does anyone supply "re-done" (cleaned out, pressure sealed and
>re-coated) or new/old stock tanks? That would be the easiest....taking
>out the old and installing good tanks at the same time.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steve Sage
>1966 MK1A

         Silicone sealants, typically known as "RTV" are the wrong material
to use with gasoline and many other highly volatile hydrocarbon
fluids.  While it does harden from it's flowing paste form, the cross links
never develop to reach it's final design form.  It gets quite rubbery,
swells and is very weak.  Small pieces can break off and will float around
in your gas system.  This stuff  can easily clog the small in-line filters
used on a Tiger and is also disastrous in the fuel pump valves.  The
warning on the label typically states not to use it on parts "Immersed" in
gasoline. I would extend this to any part of the fuel system.  The gasket
for the fuel sender should be a cork compound or rubber that does not swell
when exposed to gasoline.  Carefully applied Teflon plumbers tape is good
for all threaded joints.

Tom