Advise re:500 vs 600 CFM Carb Query (& Edelbrock vs Carter)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Advise re:500 vs 600 CFM Carb Query (& Edelbrock vs Carter)
From: "R. Flynn" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:12:44 +0100
I am still looking for some clarification on the following if anyone can help:

- 500 vs 600 CFM carbs
  I am running a slightly hotter than normal (275 BHP at the back wheels) 289
  in my MKI w/Offenhauser 360 Dualport manifold & Carter 600 CFM carb.  It has
  been suggested that I may be a tad over-carburated.  Can anyone lend any
  insight regarding whether the 600 is perhaps a bit much and what benefits
  or drawbacks could be expected from going to a 500?  (The archives and
  such don't seem to draw a strong distinction other than the 500 is "probably
  fine for street use" and the occasional "the 600 is recommended".)

- Edelbrock vs Carter
  I know that the Edelbrock carbs are re-engineered Carters, but what are the
  implications of the modifications?  Is Edelbrock the preferred variant?  If
  so, why?

Thanks in advance & apologies for my ignorance in such matters.

rick