260 Rebuild - Valve Stem Seals

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: 260 Rebuild - Valve Stem Seals
From: CE25593@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:34:33 EDT
Hello Listers.  I have been monitoring the list for the past year.  Now that
my Tiger, B382000793, is starting to come together, I will be seeking your
assistance with a number of issues over the next several months.

The car has not been delivered or started since it was delivered.  It was put
up on blocks and the restoration process initiated.  I am currently checking
out the engine.

Tonight I am looking for some guidance regarding valve stem seals for the 260
V8.  My engine was built by the PO.  It has a roller tappet cam, screw in
studs and roller tip rocker arms.  The valve guides are the screw in type
inserts.   This all appears to be a quality rebuild, however, there are
excessive black deposits on all the valve stems and in all the combustion
chambers.

It appers the valve stem seals failed.  The seals appear to ride up and down
on the valve stem rather than fit tight to the valve guide boss. Is this
correct?  Is there a positive fitting seal available?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bob Haynes, San Diego
ce25593@aol.com