Re: Master Cyl?

To: stuart_brennan@agilent.com
Subject: Re: Master Cyl?
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:29:35 -0700
Stu's post (below) reminded me of the same feeling on the brakes I had with a
set of Karmann-Ghia disc brakes on my special.  I had replaced the wheel
bearings and did not know that there was a mod change to a different ID around
'69, and my chassis was a '71, but the brakes came from an earlier Ghia.  They
felt fine, but I would get this "low pedal", then it was high.

The pads were "straightening up" the crooked disc, and it was OK until the
larger inner bearing would cock on the spindle again.  I was launching a rocket
at Vandenberg AFB ,and coming home, then I rocked the big tires on the front
from top to bottom.  It clunked with the car on the ground.  Knew it must be
the front wheel bearings, so I drove home at 70+ mph so I could get there
quickly before something went wrong!!! {9-> (young and stuuuupid).  The roller
bearing was turned sideways in the race, with a few missing completely, and was
ground about half way through the diameter.  Got the right bearings, and
everything was fine again.

Good Idea, Stu.

Bad Action Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/