RE: inquiry 092800c

To: <Laifman@flash.net>, "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: RE: inquiry 092800c
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:51:33 -0700
Steve,

Of course, naturally I was expecting some flak regarding those particular
Firestone tires. However, as a result of our fine work at Firestone, we
filed and were granted a patent on a method for reducing the time the tire
spends in the mold, thus saving Firestone, nee Bridgestone gobbs of
$$$$$$$$$$.

Here is a brief description of the patent:

"A tire cure control system and method characterized by a computer-based
data acquisition and process control unit that uses non-invasive, direct
cure measurements to adjust the length of cure so that all cured articles
such as tires will be cured to the same extent in the minimum amount of
time, thereby to maximize production while providing uniformly cured
products. The unit generally includes at least one microwave probe, although
preferably multiple microwave probes, placed in the mold and a processor to
process probe data and to initiate a control action principally initiating a
mold opening sequence at the optimal time. Initiation of the mold opening
sequence at least in part is based upon a measurement of the time rate of
change of the attenuation of microwave energy caused by the curing rubber
compound in the mold."

You can find the patent at:

         http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05486319__

I can't wait for the other shoe to drop when the people using these tires
find out they are at risk of cancer because of the microwaves emanating from
their tires.

BTW, I haven't used a Firestone time since 1957 when I put them on my
Rambler Rebel. Big mistake I won't ever repeat.

So, you think I'm cute too?? Allan, I think parking between the two of us is
a splendid idea!!

Bob