Spark plug gap

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark plug gap
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:52:43 -0400
Folks,
        I used to think I knew a bit about spark plug
gaps, but I did a simple expermient and now I am not so
sure.  I took a 30K volt power supply and connected up
a typical spark plug to it in open air.  Nice thick arc
was apparent.  I then gently blew on the arc and the
arc formed into about a 1/4" simicircle.  When blowing
very hard the arc could be blown even in a bigger
simicircle.  Now explain to me how a spark plug gap
has any meaning  inside a cylinder when the incomming
air velocity is much much higher than my breath (and in
Florida just as humid)?  I assume that air entering
the cylinder is in the range of 100+ Mph.  I assume that
the formation of ionization through the air /fuel mixture
is much much faster, i.e. the speed of a lighting bolt;
but once the arc starts, does it get blown around due to
the incomming air/fuel mixture?  It would seem to me that
wider gaps would have more of a problem with the arc being
blown around.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others