Re: Garage Lift

To: larry.wright@usop.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage Lift
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:02:52 EDT
Hi Larry,

Here are some answers to your questions on a garage lift.

 << This gets all three car indoors, with the Miata _under_ the Tiger; those
two cars are low enough that the "stack" should fit in my 9-1/2' high garage.

 9 1/2 feet should be enough for stacking low cars. 10 feet is better for a
car like a Mustang. The lift goes up in 6 inch increments. Perhaps you could
somehow raise the rafters just for clearance at the windshield and roof. I
did that by raising three rafters and making them part of a truss I built.

 << So I'm curious what experience others might have had in this area,
 brands/features/whatever. And how they hold up.>>

 I have had a Back Yard Buddy for about 10 years and I have helped people
install other brands.They are all very similar.  At that time the Back Yard
Buddy used inch larger beams and larger cables. If they still make it the
same, the difference is worth it.

<<There are two options in the brochure that I want. One is a set of
galvanized "drip pans" , the other is rolling cross beams to use jacks,
stands, whatever, to raise the wheels off the lift for service work on
brakes, suspension, whatever. >>

Drip pans are required. I park a Mustang Cobra under the Tiger and certainly
don't want brake fluid or something dripping on it. I bought galvanized sheet
metal and made two of my own. I made a cross beam from a 6 inch "I" beam that
slides rather than rolls. It has some guides to keep to from cocking and
falling out while I move it. I don't know why you need rollers.

 << that a 110v "base" motor would suffice, instead of upgrading to 220v >>

I have the 110 V pump permanently mounted to the wall. It work fine and I
didn't need the cart they sell for it.

Shipping was a problem for me. Both companies wanted to ship it to a
warehouse where I would have to rent a truck and hire someone to load it with
a high-low.
I convinced the guy at Back Yard Buddy, with much haggling, to ship it
straight to my house. By unpacking it in the truck and with the driver' s
help we were able to unload it. I was then able to assemble it in the garage
by myself.

                                            John Logan