inquiry 102000a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 102000a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 06:22:07 -0500
Larry Paulick wrote:
>Steve Laifman wrote:
>> Electronic speedo based on drive-line pick-up?
>Steve, it was mounted on the drive shaft with a
>hose clamp.  Mine worked
>great, used it for years on cars I had in school.

Hose clamp? Would it affect driveshaft balance?

While we're telling speedo stories: Somewhere in the basement I still have
my Zemco Model 63, so called because that's how many functions it does. I
bought this thing for my Datsun 510 back in 1979 or so. There's a digital
readout on the dash and a keypad; the part you see is about like a small
calculator. Actually _in _ the car it had a fuel line sensor and a
driveshaft rotation sensor that read tiny magnets held on with _tape_. Gee,
it had cruise control, current & average speed, current and avg mpg, miles
and gallons to empty (you told it your tank capacity) inside & outside temp,
all kinds of stuff. Lots of fun, almost a distraction. Never lost those
driveshaft magnets even during rallies, autocrosses, driving in the snow,
etc.

The control panel/readout would look dumb in the GQ, maybe I'll install it
on my MTD lawn tractor.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
"Nose gone, grindstone still here"
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333