Re: Engine Issue Resolvedx-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Issue Resolvedx-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:27:14 -0500
Tym, I put a heater valve in the plemun box, per Tom Hall article of
years ago.  One of the clamps was not tight enough, and it leaked just
like you described.  This is a difficult area to get to and if you have
old hoses, now is the time to replace them, as getting old hoses off the
heat exchanger will be difficult/impossible.

After you take the cover off this area, the heat exchanger tank will be
exposed, then off come the 2 hoses.  I took my heat exchanger out, and
did a cleaning using water first, and then citrus oil to loosen up the
crude, and boy, does the junk come out.  Wonder how the poor little
thing flowed any water at all, and now know why it was so inefficient in
heating the car.

You can take the heat exchanger to a radiator shop, and let them clean
and test the tank, but for warned them that they should only use low
pressure for testing, like that on the Tiger system.  Think it is 15 psi.

Most of the tanks are bowed out at the ends from PO using too high a
pressure cap.  I used a vacuum tester, and pulled the ends back to their
original position, and this also tested the tank for leaks at the same time.

Now everything is tight and leak free.

I did a 5.0L w/ T-5 conversion, and will look for your article, as this
will save me time putting a report together. What rear gears do you
have?  I have a 3.54 posi, and am looking for large oak trees to pull
out of the ground, when in first gear.

Larry