RE: Panhard Rod

To: "'Tom Witt'" <wittsend@jps.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Panhard Rod
From: "Smit, Theo" <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:23:03 -0800
Hi Tom,
>From a geometry point of view (minimum lateral deflection of the axle
relative to the chassis) you want the Panhard rod to be horizontal. Lowering
the bar altogether lowers the rear roll center, which can help to reduce
understeer in cornering. The roll center height with a Panhard rod is given
by the height of the Panhard rod at the axle centerline, so just lowering
the chassis end so the rod is level, will lower the roll center by a
significant amount.
The second part, how to go about that, depends on your level of commitment I
guess.  You need to dangle a mount from the frame rail, and then brace it
with a diagonal from the opposite side. On the two tube-chassis rear end
installations I did (non-Tiger), I used 1.5" diameter 0.095" wall tubing for
the dangle and the diagonal, and then used a piece of 1" x 2" x 0.125"
rectangular tubing to form the attachment point for the Panhard rod's rod
ends. I used 5/8" Aurora rod ends threaded into a piece of 1" OD, 1/2" ID
high carbon tubing as the Panhard rod. Probably overkill but I didn't have
to worry about deflection.

Good luck,
Theo