RE: hard tops - more-Lexan Failure

To: "Smit, Theo" <theo.smit@intel.com>
Subject: RE: hard tops - more-Lexan Failure
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:39:25 -0500
Theo,
        I assumed that Lexan would be better than plexiglas
on a Tiger Hardtop, but I was wrong.  I bought a 1/8" thick
sheet that was lightly tinted bronze.  The material was normally
used in place of screens to cover exterior windows in houses
down here in Florida  (keeps it cooler in the house with air
 conditioning).  I had extreame problems trying to bend the
Lexan to fit the rear window. There is a 3D bend in the window
of the hardtop that is difficult.  I finally got it to sort of fit
by using heat (a very long story).  With the bronze tinted window
finally in, I had the clearest rear view that I had ever seen,
(for about 6 months).  The Lexan is now very difficult to see through.
It is not scratched very much, but the outer and inner surface
has apparently degraded considerably.  I have tried various
polishing and rubbing compounds on the surface with only
temporary and partial success.  Plexiglass will crase or crack,
but it stays clear much longer than the Lexan I used.
I have put Plexiglas in my other hard top, instead of the Lexan.

At 06:48 AM 12/12/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I don't have a clue whether your fiberglass hard top has the same window as
>the steel one, but why safety glass? If you use a windshield then it's
>laminated safety glass, not tempered glass (quite different) that normal
>side/rear windows are made from. Why not use Lexan? It's pretty much
>bombproof, doesn't get affected by UV, doesn't shatter like Plexi, etc. etc.
>etc. There's a hard-coated version available (about 3x the cost) that will
>stand up to paper towels too.
>
>Theo

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others