POR-15 Help, Thanks

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: POR-15 Help, Thanks
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:07:00 -0800
Thank you everyone for your POR-15 input. Since I have now "experienced" the
product I thought I would give a little input to any of you who might be
considering its use. First, nowhere on the can or in the literature does it
recommend how to "GO PEE"once the stuff is all over you (and you have your
last few gloves). Recommendation: have lots of gloves handy (my box of 100
"looked" half full, but wasn't). Second, while the rest of the US freezes we
had 75-80% weather here in So. Cal. This was brought about by our infamous
"Santa Ana --- winds". I thought this would bring two advantages. A. low
humidity, therefore the product would not set up too fast. B. with the front
and back garage doors open it would help to ventilate the garage. Wrong! It
took a wait of over 8 hours before I could begin the second coat. This had
me starting in the morning and working the second coat through dinner. The
product cures by moisture and even a vaporizer in a closed garage didn't
help. Also I wore a repirator, had the mentioned doors open (with plenty of
wind) and had a fan pulling the vapors away. Regardless, I was still not
feeling too well at the end. Third, I also found that the "finger drag" you
are supposed to feel before applying the second coat also causes "paint
drag." I was brushing it on and found that it took about 3-4 times more
paint to apply the second coat. AFTER it was applied (you had to get it on
first) then it was more fluid and at times this caused runs. I won't even
talk about accessibility to those tight areas like the boxed section over
the rearend between the two upper shock mounts (break the"tail" off the
brush and do your best). All-in-all even thought the car was only on jack
stands (no rotisserie here) I was able to keep rather clean, but do have
rags handy to wipe the floor as you go. Finally make sure you have enough
product. I withheld doing the underside of the tire well and trunk because I
didn't want to run short and not get the second coat on in time. Thanks
again for your help, Tom Witt B9470101