RE: POR-15 Help, Thanks (repsonse to Dick)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: POR-15 Help, Thanks (repsonse to Dick)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:37:46 -0800
Dick, You let the cat out of the bag! Now everyone knows just how stupid I
am! (LOL) I think were talking about the same car? Black with red pin
stripe, banged up front end, Cosmic wheels, and the putrid smell of a dead
rat that has yet to go away? Yes, the PO was crazy to drive it to Smitty's.
The rearend was looser than diarrhea, one of the rear brake shoes was
history (there was no working hand brake) and the wheel cylinder was
leaking, but most frightening was the fact that the steering u-joints were
shot and the pinch bolt at the steering column was w-a-a-a-a-a-y loose. On
the other hand I didn't find much missing, just worn out. It did come with a
straight front clip and about $800 of this and that from Sunbeam
Specialties. I know the rocker rust scared most people away, but on closer
inspection it really didn't get very far. There is no sag in the door
openings. I have some ideas for using box tubing (internally) to make the
sills stronger than the factory did. I have got ALL the replacement body
sheetmetal for $50. It also has the original fan shroud, radiator tank,
hardtop, air cleaner and real quarter glass . A lot of work? YES! But thats
the way I am. I can't afford a $25,000 Tiger. I can't afford a $12,000 half
worn out Tiger. But for $7,000 to $8,000 and a LOT of hard work I will have
a mostly rebuilt, modestly passable Tiger. I was a 12 year old kid when slot
car racing stopped being a babysitting service and a few diehard (real)
racers held on in the early 70's. I would buy everyone's old (in their mind
worn out) parts. I would pick up their used brushes off the floor. I worked
diligently each week to prepare my cars. I would starve to use my lunch
money (don't tell my mom) for the enterance fee. I never won many races. But
the multitude of second place finishes that beat out grown men with far more
expensive cars is still one of the greater joys in my life and it is a time
I cherish. I see my Tiger that way. A car most wouldn't want. A car I really
can't afford. A challenge. A hobby. I may hate it at times, but a part of me
wouldn't want it any other way.  Thanks for following the saga. Tom