Backfire Through Carb.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Backfire Through Carb.
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:04:08 -0500
Folks,
        I am also running Crane "High Intensity"
lifters.  These are a take off of Rhodes? lifters.
They do not provide full lift at low RPM as they
leak a lot.  This is susposed to provide more low
end tork when using the 351C 4 barrel heads with
 2.16" dia intake valves.
        Had the Tiger running pretty good yesterday
so I decided to check for backfire again.  Two
quick runs from 45 to 70 MPH were fine, on the 3rd
try BLAM! (this was in high gear with a quick tap
on the gas peddle.) (Primary accelator pump cam at
position 2.)
        Put the #330 acceletrator pump cam back to
position 1 today and readjusted the lever clearance to
18 thousands with the carb at WOT.  Eyeballing the
pump's discharge position 1 seems more than position
2 and definately more than position 3.
        Changed to the big Blue distributer cap today
just in case the MSD 6Al and big coil decide to cross
fire within the standard cap.  I do not believe that
is the cause of my backfire problem.  The distributor
terminals are similar to a spark plug terminal so I
need to get new wires now.  The spark plug wires that
fit the old distributor cap look real weird on the new cap.

        Did not test run the Tiger today.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others