Re: resend pilot bearing

To: Bill Lawrence <billlawrence@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: resend pilot bearing
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:11:31 -0800
Bill Lawrence wrote:

> Hello Tiger list
>
> The Tiger manual points to a faulty pilot bearing.  It further goes on to
> state that repairs should be made with the transmission out of the car,
> which means the entire engine must come out too.  This seems a little
> daunting.
>
> Bill Lawrence
> 1965 Sunbeam Tiger

Bill,

While it IS correct that the pilot bearing replacement must be done with the
engine and transmission separated, you do NOT have to remove the engine to
remove the transmission.

First, realize that the Top Loader is VERY heavy.  You will need a pretty
strong person, or two to lower it and replace it.

Second, this job requires room to drop the transmission and remove it.  Jack
stands would have to be very sturdy and high, not your typical Pep Boys tin.
The reason for the height is more the ability to lower/raise the transmission
with sufficient room for bodies.  A transmission jack, of course, would make
life much easier, and reduce the complications.

After raising car to sturdy jack stands (or a good garage lift) support the
engine with a stand, and a load spreading block of wood, on the rear of the
pan, behind the motor mounts.  STURDY!

The process goes like this:

1) Remove carpet over transmission shift lever end, open left side door, and
remove speedo cable and upper shift lever mechanism. No need to remove entire
shifter.

(For later on, putting the speedo clamp back is a little tricky with the room
involved. The ring around the cable can be angle sectioned so it will rotate
around the holding bolt and fall over the cable to hold it in place. Replace
by mounting cut ring with holding bolt, lightly tighten bolt with cut ring out
of the path of the cable.  Insert the cable, and release the ring to fall into
the cable groove. Tighten bolt.)

2) Remove rear drive shaft U joint bolts and remove drive shaft.

3) Sturdily support the transmission with a stand or transmission jack.  This
can be delayed until after Step 5, if it is in your way.

4) Using a "wobble" extension, and a "stubby" flex handle ratchet wrench,
remove the upper two bell housing to motor bolts (These tools are necessary to
get into the limited space available without drilling holes in your firewall.
They can be obtained at a very dear price from Snap-On, or rather
inexpensively ($10/3 length 3/8" set) at Pep Boys.

5) Remove the rest of the housing/block bolts (3-4 depending on block), the
sheet metal shield, and the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the bell
housing. This ought to also "hang" the clutch remote. Protect it from being
damaged or bending the line.

6) Remove the rear motor mount bolts and the support cross member bolts.

7) The "waltz step" here is to move the transmission straight back, while
helping the freed bell housing to slide back and get loose, so it can be
lowered. Be careful not to allow the bell housing to drop.  When it is
manually handled to be clear, support it with suitable bent coat hanger wires,
or grow another arm.

8) At this point, it should be possible to move the transmission rearwards
until the pilot bearing and first motion shaft are separated, and the
transmission has cleared the clutch.

9) The entire transmission can now be lowered and removed from the car body,
while watching out for the loose bell housing.

I am sure my memory is not perfect here, so some steps may not be in enough
detail, or a few precautions may have been left out.  It did work well on my
car, although I observed, rather than performed this task as it is too much
for my body.

I am also sure that any error of commission or omission will quickly be
pointed out by some experienced Tiger "wrench".

Good luck, and replace those "close ratio" gears with the "wide ratio" gears
as used in the Mk II. You'll not regret it, unless  you've done something
silly with your rear end gears.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/