RE: Long-Backfire damage

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Long-Backfire damage
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:50:36 -0800
Craig,

I found it curious that none of the procedures I've seen make the adjustment
directly on the heel of the lobe; i.e., "opposite the lifters" as you say.
My procedure gives more margin for error on setting the crank angle. In my
case, with a not-to-radical cam, I get the same readings at +/- 90 degrees
of crank angle, but that might not be the case for a more radical cam. I
should also mention that, in spite of what I said before about temperature
not mattering (I'm surprised I didn't get some flack on this one), I do set
the exhaust just a tad looser than the intake since the exhaust valve stem
can run quite a bit hotter than the intake, especially under heavy load. I
only make the exhaust clearance about 0.001" or less. The tolerance range
for setting solid lifter clearance may be at least 0.003" or even more. It
does make a difference how it runs and you can set it tighter for better
high rpm performance or looser for better idle and tooling around town.

Have fun with your new toy.

Brgds,

Bob