Tiger Cooling

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Tiger Cooling
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:37:16 EST
Received my copy of Cat's "Tiger Tales" today.  Article on a cooling study
undertaken by TE/AE is excellent.  It seems to be the most comprehensive job
done to date on Tiger cooling..  And....they said they are not done yet.

Some of their results are surprising to me and others are not.  They seem to
find that thick radiators often do not allow air to pass through them unless
the car is at great speed.  This is the same philosophy that NASCAR uses.
For races to be at very high speed, thick radiators are used.  The slower
races mandate a thinner one.  Since most Tigers will not be at high speed, a
very thick radiator might actually work against good air flow.

They found that a crowded condition under the Tiger's hood was not a main
cause of overheating.  This makes sense when you look at modern cars that
don''t overheat and have extremely crowded under hoods.

Their conclusion to this point seems to be that good cooling will be the
result of a combination of many small things.

These people should be thanked for what they have accomplished.  No doubt,
more work and experimenting will be done, but I consider this a great
accomplishment.  In reading their experiences, it reminded me of reading of
the  debugging of the original Tiger.  And much of that was on cooling.
     Mark L.